I currently use a Gateway NV53 notebook. I purchased it back in February this year, 2010. The whole time I’ve had it I noticed that the mute touch key was always lit, even when it wasn’t on mute. Also, when adjusting the volume, no pop-up volume bar would show. Some of the other touch keys were also unresponsive. I never sought to find a fix until recently. Doing some research, I found that others have had the same problem with different NV notebooks.
The fix is simple and takes less than ten minutes to complete.
- First, click the “Start” or Windows button then click on “All Programs”.
- Scroll to the “Gateway” folder and run the “Gateway Recovery Management“.
- Click “Restore” on the top left.
- Then click “Reinstall Drivers or Applications” on the bottom; select “Contents”.
- Scroll down to “Launch Manager” or “Launch Management” and click the install icon located on the right.
- After the installation is complete, restart your computer and the touch keys should now work properly.
I had to wait until my computer fully loads until the touch keys start functioning. I hope this helps you solve the problem.